Sunday, October 17, 2010

How do you explain...

How do you explain to someone all the reasons you don't want them to drink?
How can you put into words all the stupid things they do when they're drunk?
How do you explain that you think they can do so much better?
How do you explain that you think they DESERVE better than the hangover they'll have tomorrow?
How do you explain why you think it's wrong
without filling the role of "Judgmental Christian" that people are constantly harping about?
How do you explain that you don't want them to drink because you care about them?
How do you explain all this to them when it's all they've ever known?
When it's all they've ever seen?
When they don't know another alternative?

I don't know what to do. I have been praying, and crying out to God on behalf of this kid. He parties more or less every night, and it just makes me heart-sick. He deserves so much better than what he's getting out of life.

I told him tonight that I wished he wouldn't party, and he asked me why? I couldn't put everything I wanted into a simple text. How can you put everything that's on your heart, an issue that you are SO passionate about, that you've almost literally given up life as you know it to take a stand against, into a few short sentences? I don't think it can be done. I could write a whole book about why I think drinking is wrong. There's so many logical things, arguable facts that make drinking to excess so stupid, but beyond that, there's so many emotional aches and pains that come along with drinking.

I can't comprehend a life like this. I can't understand more or less just living for the next party, and I'm not talking about one specific person anymore, but the culture as a whole. I guess just praise God that I was never that kid who had nothing else. There was always something else for me, someONE for me.

I just hope that this kid will realize that he deserves so much better, and that if he demanded more out of life than just a night of binge drinking, he would very likely get it. Anything has to be better than that.

I just don't know. But I guess I will just continue to pray and be a friend as best I know how. What else can I do at this point?

No comments:

Post a Comment