Monday, September 27, 2010

First in a While...

So, I haven't had a lotta computer access the last couple weeks.

Yesterday was Schnell, which is a park over in Richardton, and it was fantastic. I started riding a bay mare named Maddie. She decided she wanted to try and throw in a little itty bitty buck when I asked her to lope. So. I got to deal with her little fit attack. It was grand fun. I think Shayna thought I was crazy. I was just laughing so hard because it was such a half hearted attempt to buck me off. So I had grand fun with that, and then I got on Britches, who was a spazz. She was extremely herd bound, so any time her buddy Princess wandered off, she started spinning circles on me, and trying to back up, which, on a narrow trail didn't works o well for her. Once again, call me crazy, but I had fun.

Then today I got to see Viva and ride her out. It went fantastic. She's in New England, North Dakota with a guy named Parker and his wife and kids. I went out at about noon and got her saddled up and did some ground work. Then she pretty much stood tied all day while I hung out with Heather and Shane, the oldest boy, and when Parker got home, we took her out along with a gelding he's training for Heidi named Gambler. Gambler bucked pretty hard with Parker.

It was so fun to watch him. I always enjoy watching a good rider work a bronc, and I think Parker is probably one of the best riders I've ever met. Like, I think he can sit anything. Gambler kinda jumped outta no where today and Parker wasn't expecting it and it got him off balance. I thought he was gonna be gone; most people would be. Next thing I know he's dead center and smacking him with the quirt trying to get him to buck harder! lol. It's pretty fantastic. Anyway, Viva did FANTASTIC. I was so excited.

We walked and trotted. She's still learning to carry herself with a rider, and I think she's over reaching, which for all my non-horsey friends mean that she's reaching too far with her back feet and stepping on or kicking her front feet. Horses that do that can cause a lot of damage to themselves because at a trot or a canter there's a lot of force in those back feet. For instance, today, I'm pretty sure Viva caught herself today and even cut herself a bit. Hopefully that's just her learning to carry a rider and she'll sort of "grow out of it." Other than that, though, she did FANTASTIC. Didn't buck, trotted without a problem, didn't spook even when we had pheasants pop up right under her nose. We even walked over a big horse eating bridge. =D She was amazing.

So basically, today was an incredible day and I can't wait to get out and ride her again, which won't be until Thursday, unfortunately.

xoxo,
Erika Rose <3

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome babe! Sounds like Viv is doing amazing. That makes me grin all big.

    ReplyDelete