Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Just Love Exhaustion

Not. That was a serious case of sarcasm there. Seriously. I went to bed at like, 11 last night, which was too late, but isn't TERRIBLY bad. But I didn't get to sleep until at least midnight, maybe later, and I got up at 6:30 this morning. Which I'm rather proud of myself for, I might add. I haven't gotten up later than 6:30 on a school day in the last..well, only two weeks, but still! I've been doing devos pretty faithfully, too. =] And I feel really good, as well. It's amazing what it does for you.

Exhaustion aside, today was a pretty fantastic day. I got a part in the school play, East of the Sun. Ancilla the Ice Witch. I guess the run down is this Princess (The Princess of the Long Nose, who is atrociously ugly) bribed me (The Ice Witch) into basically setting her up with the incredibly handsome Prince Nordo, in exchange for a crystal that shows the future. Then the Princess decides she wants Nordo turned into a "part-time" bear, just during the day, so none of the other girls will steal him, and he ends up running away and winds up with the heroine of the story, Raindrop (I think that's her name!) And. Well. Yeah. That's a summary of what it's about. It's an old Norwegian Folk Tale, and I actually read a book based on a similar tale called East. That book was amazing, so I think it'll be good. The play is something of a comedy, so I'm rather excited. The director informed me today that my costume will be sparkly and he wants to find a crown along the lines of what the Ice Witch in Chronicles of Narnia wears. I was excited. ;] lol

There was also the first FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which is just a name and is in no way for only athletes) well, thing today, I guess. They just gave out free hot dogs and burgers over lunch hour, but they meet every Tuesday, and YFC (Youth For Christ) meets on Thursdays, so I'm rather excited about that. =D I have a couple friends who go, too, so I'm pretty stoked.

Homecoming is this weekend! I'm pretty excited about that, too. I think I'm going with a couple of girlfriends. Wearing a dress of my sister's. Oh the wonders of sisters who are similar(enough) in size! lol!

And. I guess on a darker note, I've been thinking the last couple of days about society, and what it's become. Mr. Jambor, my Applied Animal Science and the FFA leader was talking in class today about how great FFA is and how it teaches values and yadda yadda. Which is great. But in a way, I kind of feel like the organizations are trying to compensate for a lack of parenting? Do you get what I'm saying? These organizations, like FFA are trying to teach ethics and some sense of moral and integrity, which don't get me wrong, I think is fantastic! But I think they're trying to make up for what is NOT being taught to America's youth in the home anymore. I think it used to be very much the parents' job to instill a sense of right and wrong, a sense of moral and a strong code of ethics in their children. Now I think schools are trying to make up for that, and they're failing. Not so much is it a failure on their part as that it's just not how things are designed. These things are supposed to be taught in the home, and in no way can a school system truly make up for a lack of parenting. Not ultimately. And I think ultimately, my generation is paying the price.

All these girls winding up pregnant or people in general with STDs, because no one taught them any different. Nobody showed them the benefits of saving yourself for marriage, or the costs of giving your body away. Nobody has tried to tell them that drunkenness is wrong and not to mention stupid, and so ultimately, the generation is reverting back to its roots: it's reverting back to the old sin nature and the desires of the flesh, and that is what society is SCREAMING it at them. Society tells us all the time that this is how things are supposed to be, this is what you need to do, even going so far as to say that there's something wrong with you if you do dare to be different. I guess I don't speak so much from personal experience, but society in general is definitely this way, there's no doubt about it. But society is made up of homes, and I think that's where America today is lacking. These kids, too, lack stability. They're parents are druggies and/or alcoholics or whatever the case may be, and they basically get shoved out on their own and get left to their own devices.

I'm having a hard time drawing a conclusion to this one. Probably because I am so tired. I guess what I'm trying to say is I feel sort of sorry for these kids who go out and party for fun, who binge drink because it's the thing to do, who have sex before they're married because nobody told them any different. Not to mention marriage itself is mocked and scoffed at these days, not to mention divorce (which just goes along with it no longer seeming sanctified) but that's a whole DIFFERENT topic that I won't get started on.

Now that I have rambled sufficiently for the day, I'm going to go...I don't know what. Maybe over to the coffee shop for a caffeine kick. ;]

xoxo
Me.

2 comments:

  1. Like I've said before you are amazing! I have so many comments in my head I don't know where to start!

    First, welcome to my world! I feel lucky if I get 6 hours of sleep each night. The joys of being a mama, homeschooler, etc.

    Second, you are right on about things not being taught at home. Our church recently changed it's Sunday School curriculum because they want to encourage parents to be the primary teachers of spirituality and Christianity in their homes. They felt like the church was stepping on the parents toes instead of supporting what should be the parent role. I'm so excited because they are providing so many ways for parents to model and teach Christianity to their kids and then coming along and supporting what has already been taught at home on Sundays. And then of course, kids who don't get it at home will get it at church any way.

    When I was in high school I wrote a column for our school news paper and I wrote an article one day about waiting for marriage before having sex. I had a boyfriend at the time and people made fun of us for weeks. That same day a friend of mine (the editor of the paper) found out she was pregnant. Her life was changed forever. Her son today is 20 years old. (uuugh, I feel old now!). She pulled me aside that day and said that she wished I had wrote my article earlier.

    All that to say that you are right on Erika!!! It's a hard world we live in with hard choices and hard circumstances and I'm so amazed at your insight and your faith.

    I'm excited to see what you are going to write next. :)

    ReplyDelete