Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm a Believer...

Well. Today was an interesting day. Got a call at 7:30 that DeeDee had to go on an ambulance run, so I threw on some clothes and went out to babysit. Did that, then went back out at two. Bill came out and worked Viva. It was a very educational experience, I gotta say, and I think I might just be a believer in tying up a leg...Let me explain.

Tying up a leg involves putting a rope around a horse's neck and then literally tying up a leg. Not way up, if they put it forward a bit then can still stand on all four feet. The idea is that they can't really move, and when they kick at it, they pull on their neck, thus punishing themselves. It's pretty dandy, actually, because there's no nasty memories of you being involved in this kicking war, just them and the rope.

At any rate, Bill tied up a foot and she wandered around a bit, kicked a little, and then she got saddled. This was all old news for her, and she (She being Viva, I guess I haven't said that yet.) was pretty okay with it. Then she got roped. Which was all fine and dandy until he caught a back foot. He gave it a little tug (nothing major, just letting her know it was there) and she flipped. Much bucking and kicking and just general frivolity (baha, I like that word, even though that's not technically the right way to use it...) ensued. It was quite a rodeo. Then she finally chilled, and Bill climbed on her, and things were going great until she bucked. Not hard, or anything, although I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be the one riding it. And so she got to work some more and chilled out and then went some more. It sounds pretty bad, but it was fairly okay. Minus the bucking part. I really would've rather she didn't buck at all. Haha. So anyway. By the time Bill was done with her, I'm pretty sure Viva had a totally different outlook on life. I don't know how to explain it really, but the look in her eye was totally different. It was like, a full on "okay you win," sorta look, I guess. I don't know, exactly, but I'd never seen it before. The day ended with me climbing aboard and wandering all over the round pen. She flexed and kicked a hip and I felt like things looked pretty good by the time we were done with her. I'm rather excited now, but I guess we won't know for sure if the training sticks until tomorrow morning, when I go out to work her again.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that I'm a believer in the whole foot rope thing. ;] lol. Even if they've still got an attitude after THAT (Which by golly, they shouldn't) at least you know for sure. I think that if they're still kicky or anything after the foot rope, they're probably not gonna come around.

So. Anyway. Those are my thoughts on the day. ;] Tootles.

No comments:

Post a Comment