Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Family Units

I find it extremely vexing how many kids either loathe their parents or can't stand living with them. This whole experience with Dickinson has shown me how FEW kids actually LIKE their parents. I'm finding that I'm one of a pretty small group who actually sincerely loves my parents. I would give anything to live at home again. Well. Not anything, obviously, because it wouldn't be that hard to just drop school in Dickinson and go, but you get what I'm saying.

At any rate, a LOT of the people I talk to don't get along with their parents, can't stand them, and can't wait to move out. And in MOST cases, I honestly don't blame the kid in the slightest. And personally, I think it's a travesty!! WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH AMERICA'S PARENTS?! And I think more than that, with the FAMILY UNIT. I think this is something that's become so lost.

I feel like parents make NO effort to bond with their kids. No effort to really be part of their life. They don't even sit down to dinner anymore. And granted, we didn't ALWAYS have dinner together,we did pretty regularly, especially when I was little and Holly and Derek were still in the house. And even now, when I'm home, we always go out at least once a week. Usually on Sundays, we'd go have lunch after church.

I just feel the family unit is something that's being lost. People are so rarely a FAMILY anymore. There is no bonding, no family ties, no family loyalty. And I think it's sad. And I wish that every kid could have with their parents what I do with mine.

So. Those are the thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment