Friday, December 31, 2010

A Totally Differerent Vein...

So. This is nothing like today's other post about the new year. This is a totally different vein, in fact, but it's something else I've been pondering.

People are so RARELY what we expect them to be. We put people in these little boxes that WE think they fit, and then we just hardly know what to do with ourselves when they do something totally "outside" that box. Why do we feel such a need to do that? To categorize people? To expect things?

I've found that I rarely EXPECT things anymore--a lot of the time, it just seems like a good way to get let down. Even when I KNOW someone would do something for me, I don't EXPECT them to. Don't ask me how that works, because I'm not entirely sure. ;) But this way, when they do something, it's more of a happy surprise. ;) And it's not that I don't trust people, because I do have a couple REALLY fantastic friends who are there for me every time. I am coming to expect that. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I try NOT to expect things. I try not to expect somebody to do this for me, or for that person to be a certain way, because every time I do, I just get let down or shocked or something. It's better to just go with it and let it come, instead of trying to box people up.

I think it's also funny to see people putting me in a box. Sometimes I can just tell that they expect me to be a certain way, or do a certain thing, or maybe most especially hang out with a certain type of person. I think people tend to be surprised by the company I keep. And I don't really know why. I'm an outgoing person. I like people. I like to think I'm pretty charismatic--I can get along with just about anyone. And I don't box MYSELF into hanging out with a certain type of person. I've found that often times you have a lot more in common with a person than you'd expect upon first glance. I think, though, that if I were to tell you who my best friend is at this exact moment, a lot of people would be in for a bit of a shock, because it's probably not who they'd expect. It's not someone that, A. they would anticipate being a good friend (No offense, but truly, they don't really come across as being the kind of person to let you rant and rave at two in the morning. hehe.) and B. they would anticipate being MY friend, because we do have a lot of differences. But honestly, I think we've found that we have a lot more in common than even WE expected...or maybe that's just me. haha. ;) And the scary thing is, what if we hadn't been able to get past those expectations? We would have missed out on a fantastic friendship!

So I guess I'm just kind of thinking that people run deeper than we expect, and I think we tend to miss out on a lot because we're disappointed, or we just sort of blow them off when they don't meet our expectations. Who THEY are is probably better than we expected, anyway! ;}

xoxo,
Erika Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment