Sunday, August 9, 2009

Prayer Request

Okay, guys. I'm breathless as I write this. It was so heavy on my heart that I ran all the way home from church. (Not THAT far, but enough to leave me breathless)

I have a prayer request for you guys. For a long time now, (several years) I've had this dream of going on a missions trip. The first year, I was too young, and in the two years (or however many) since, things have just come up, and it never really went through. However, this is something that's been on my heart for a long time. Usually things don't stick with me. I'm a very whimsy person. I want something on a whim, and then it passes. This hasn't. It's stuck with me.

I had always planned to do this through Brio Magazine, which was produced by Focus on the Family. You see, every summer, they staged a mission trip to various places, usually in South America. Things fell through with Brio, apparently, and they're currently working on getting things switched to Kor Ministries, as opposed to Focus on the Family. As a result, the magazine stopped going out, and the whole missions trip dream was, I guess sort of forgotten, shifted to a back burner, as happens so often.

I have no idea what Brio will be like now that things are changing. I believe that the missions trip was usually done through Focus on the Family, not actually by Brio, but I haven't looked yet. However, this is something that, despite being forgotten for a season, I believe has been put on my heart, with, I think, a stronger desire than ever before. We had some missionaries in, people from Ecuador, and it inspired me all over again, made me want to do this all over again.

So I'm asking you guys to pray. For guidance, for both me and my family, as we consider, and, if this is truly what God wants me to do (and I sincerely believe He does: like I said, I don't hold on to things like this for THIS long!) that He will open doors. That I can find a company to go through, and simply, like I said, that doors will open. Also, if this isn't what God has in mind (and it may not be, as the doors have yet to open, although I don't believe that means they WON'T) that I can get an answer, that I will feel peace, that I will know.

You guys are amazing. Thank you so much. I'll for sure keep you updated on the whole situation. =D

Much love,
Erika Rose

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ericka,
    Hey just a thought...have you talked to Jenny Zinda at all about her missions trip she went on in high school. I think it may have been thought Focus on the Family too. I wonder what the age requirement is for you to go on a missions trip to another country. One thing you could start working on until you figure it out is to get a passport and they are good for 10 years. It can sometimes take up to 6 months to get a passport so you could start there. Just some thoughts hope it helps. Love ya and I'll be praying!
    Julie Garneau

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray for you and your decision. It would be a terrific thing for you to do. A couple in our church in Lolo plans a 2 week missions trip to South America every year. There is always a variety of ages from teens (or younger) up through retired people and not everyone is from the Lolo church. Unless you specifically want to go with a group of people your age, it would be an excellent choice. This couple has a daughter who is a missionary in South America and they have lots of experience in traveling there plus they are just wonderful people. In a couple weeks I'll be there and we can talk more.
    Love you and your posts.
    Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete