Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dogs Truly Are Man's Best Friend

So. I was kind of frustrated this morning. And I came home from drivers ed and my dog is just laying on my bed. He picks up his head and kind of looks at me, and when I lay down next to him, he just plops his head back onto my arm. We stayed that way for a good half hour, and he didn't even look up when my dad went out the door, which is really unusual. Keai loves going out to the farm with my dad. I think he knew I needed him.

Dogs have that way about them. They know what we need, and sometimes they help us even when they don't really mean to. Keai didn't really mean to help me out. He was just laying there, killing time. But just in being there, he was a comfort. I think it's that they're so unassuming. Life's problems don't matter to them, they have no concept of grief, not the way we do. Even so, when you're crying, and they just give you this look, you know they're trying their darndest to understand, even though they can't really wrap their minds around the concept of anything other than the body being in pain. And they're there. Unassuming, not requiring anything. Around people, you have to talk, you have to do stuff, there's expectations. Dogs, and animals in general, but particularly dogs, they let you just be. Be you, be free, be whatever you're feeling that you can't let anyone else see.

Horses are second to none on my list of favorite animals, but there is no doubt in my mind that it's my dog that is my best friend.

1 comment: